Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Big Top Cupcake Cake!

Some time ago I purchased a Big Top Cupcake Silicone Bakeware kit... very cute and looked like a fun and easy time. I don't usually make cake because I'm honestly not a big fan of it. I really don't remember the last time I got a Birthday cake... I always have cookie cake and Mrs Fields makes the best cookie cakes! I worked there forever ago (aka High School).

This was my second attempt at making a cupcake cake. I say attempt because both times have not turned out entirely as planned. The first attempt was quite a blunder but I'm saving those pics for a blog post dedicated to all of my baking blunders (well at least the ones I have taken pictures of). I was not sure if the blunders were due to the bakeware or myself. After reading a few reviews of the product I think the baking instructions that come with the Big Top Cupcake need some work (Review 1, Review 2, Review 3).  Either way the cake and icing tasted awesome!

Tools Needed:
The Usual
Big Top Cupcake
Pam cooking spray
Cookie sheet
Stand or handheld mixer 

Ingredients:
1 Box of chocolate cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker)
11/3 Cups water
1/2 Cup vegetable oil (I don't use olive oil... it changes the taste.)
3 Eggs



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you have been reading my blog since the beginning then you know that I don't make cake... I buy a box. What you can make at home is just as good if not better then what you can buy in a box! That being said prepare the cake batter according to the directions on the box. I suggest buying Betty Crocker Super Moist. 


Spray the molds with Pam and place them on a cookie sheet. The Big Top instructions say to poor half the batter in each piece... I disagree.  I was using the filling top so pour 2 1/2 to 3/4 cups of the batter into the bottom mold and the remaining 11/2 to 11/4 cups into the top mold.



Place the filling top securely on top of the bottom cupcake piece.
The directions say to bake the top for 30 to 35 minutes and the bottom for 45 to 50 minutes... again I disagree. It actuality takes more than an hour to fully cook the cake. Check the cake top in 45 min by sticking a knife or tooth pick into it. If the knife or tooth pick comes out clean then the cake is done. Check the cake bottom for doneness in an hour. Continue baking until tooth pick or knife come out clean. 



The cake filler has never been much of a help but I use it anyway... Once the cake is done carefully scoop out some of the center. This is kind of difficult and frustrating because the bottom piece cracks the cake and scooping out more of the cake can crack it further so... BE CAREFUL! 



Fill the center and cover the top of the bottom piece with icing (use the icing to mold together any cracks). I used Martha Stewards Sprinkles Strawberry Frosting Recipe and it tasted fantastic but you can use whatever frosting you like best!



Carefully place the top cupcake piece on the bottom cupcake piece and ice it!



Here is my Boomer Sooner Breast Cancer Awareness Cupcake Cake!



Despite the numerous baking problems... the cake and icing tasted awesome! Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! You don't know how many times I've seen this thing and wondered what on earth I would do with it. I'm not a big cake person either (except for cake balls of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 45 minutes burns the freaking cake! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 45 mins is a suggestion.It varies by oven. Please be smart enough to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. bakery jonesboro ar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very helpful since I lost instructions :)

    ReplyDelete